Keeping Waterways Clean
As our town continues to grow, it becomes more difficult to keep our waterways clean! The miles of streams within the Town of Fort Mill require volunteers to assist in the locating and reporting of water pollution. The Adopt-A-Stream Program allows for residents of Fort Mill to be involved with the community while providing valuable information to the Stormwater Department. This is great opportunity for church groups, corporate sponsorship, school clubs, homeowner’s association groups, sports teams, or just a group of friends! For more information about volunteering for this program please contact the Stormwater Management Coordinator at email@example.com.
The visual benefits of a cleaner environment are clear to all that live in the community where these waterways are! A beautiful and clean community is wanted by all residents and town employees. However, the secondary benefits should also be recognized:
- Developing citizen “ownership” of the area
- Providing individuals with opportunities to get outside and engage in the outdoors
- Informal monitoring for new invasive species
- Developing civic leadership in young people through sponsoring organizations
- Reduced expenses for litter control