The Town of Fort Mill Stormwater Management Plan is a program of stormwater mitigation actions for the Town of Fort Mill based on the guidelines established under the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) stormwater management program by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Stormwater Phase II Rule.
The EPA MS4 Stormwater Phase II Program was created with the intention of improving the quality of the nation’s waterways by reducing the quantity of pollutants that stormwater picks up and carries into stormwater systems and discharges to surface water bodies. EPA requires that MS4 Phase II owners/operators reduce pollutants in stormwater to the maximum extent practicable (MEP) to protect water quality.
The regulations specify that compliance with the MEP requirement can be attained by developing and implementing a stormwater management plan that addresses the following six minimum control measures:
- Construction Site Storm Water Runoff Control
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination (IDDE)
- Pollution Prevention/Good Housekeeping For Municipal Operations
- Post-Construction Storm Water Management
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement/Participation