Parks & Rec Updates
Fort Mill Town Council approved June 8 to allow youth and adult sport leagues to resume competition this month, while also allowing Town-sponsored camps to operate this summer and approving opening playgrounds in Town parks.
Fort Mill Parks and Recreation Director Brown Simpson said sport league practices can begin immediately, though competition begins on June 22. A few summer camps will also be allowed to begin on June 22.
Playgrounds at public parks will reopen Friday, June 12, though social distancing measures must still be followed by the public and all state and federal requirements limiting the number of people who can gather in public still apply. Signs will be posted at playgrounds informing the public to use at their own risk.
Restroom facilities at Town parks will also open and will be cleaned twice daily, but with signs limiting the number of people who can use them at one time. In the restrooms at Dobys Bridge Park, every other stall will be cordoned off to maintain social distancing. The Town asks the public to follow these guidelines when using Town playgrounds:
- Practice social distancing of 6 feet or more, though we understand this is difficult for young children.
- Only interact with people in your household.
- Always wear a facemask while on the playground.
- Avoid touching your eyes, mouth or nose.
- Have children wash their hands with soap and water 20 seconds before and after playground use.
- Use hand sanitizer before, during and after use if soap and water are not available.
- Do not use playground equipment if others are already using it.
- Remain courteous and respectful of others at all times.
- If you are sick, please refrain from using playground equipment and stay at home.
- Please use playgrounds at your own risk.
Council had approved an emergency ordinance in March temporarily closing all public parks and recreation facilities to protect the health, safety, and welfare of its residents and visitors during the COVID-19 crisis. Council reopened its parks, greenspaces, trails, pathways, athletic fields and tennis courts last month.
For more information, please contact Public Relations Manager Chris Sardelli at (803) 992-0021 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.