How do you determine what I owe?

The Town measures the amount of impervious surface (roofs, sidewalks, driveway, parking lot, etc.) using the number of Equivalent Residential Unit (ERU) per property. 1 ERU is equal to 3,473 square feet, which is the median amount of impervious area found on a typical single-family residential property in Fort Mill. All single-family residential properties are charged one ERU.

Other properties are charged in proportion to this billing unit based on the calculated number of ERUs for the existing impervious area multiplied by the ERU rate. For example, if your property has four times the amount of impervious area of one ERU, you will be charged four times the base rate of $72 per year (i.e. 4 ERUs or $288 per year). This billing methodology is typical for other stormwater funding programs in the United States. The impervious surface is calculated using the County’s 2009 aerial photography. If a property owner believes that the area of impervious surface has changed since the 2009 aerial photography was produced, the property owner can apply for an evaluation.

Show All Answers

1. Has stormwater utility been used anywhere else?
2. Why do we need a Stormwater Utility?
3. What is a Stormwater Utility?
4. What is stormwater and why does it need to be managed?
5. What is the concern about stormwater quality?
6. What are some examples of drainage problems?
7. Doesn't stormwater runoff go into the sanitary sewer?
8. Why do we need to spend more for stormwater?
9. What is the Town’s responsibility for stormwater?
10. What services are funded by money collected from the Stormwater Utility fee?
11. What is the basis for the fees?
12. What is impervious surface?
13. How do you determine what I owe?
14. Why do I have to pay a stormwater fee?
15. Who pays the Stormwater Utility fee?
16. Do tax exempt properties have to pay?
17. Are there any properties that are excluded from this fee?
18. My property is not connected to the Town's drainage system. Why should I have to pay?
19. Why do I have to pay when I do not have any drainage problems?
20. Do I have to pay for any unoccupied developed properties that I own?
21. I am a renter; do I pay the fee or does my landlord?
22. What if I don't pay the stormwater fee?
23. How will I be billed?
24. Why not add this to my property taxes?
25. Does the stormwater utility maintain ditch, pipe or channel that cross private property?
26. When are storm drains cleaned?
27. Is it possible to have my fee reduced?
28. How can I be sure this fee won't pay for other Town projects?
29. What if there is an error on my bill?
30. Where can I get more information regarding the stormwater utility?
31. How do I apply for a Land Disturbance Permit?
32. How much does a Land Disturbance Permit cost?
33. Who needs a land disturbance permit?
34. How do I report a Stormwater issue?
35. How can I become more involved in public outreach for Stormwater?
36. How can I have Drippy visit my school/classroom?
37. How do I know if a road is owned by the town, county, or state?
38. What is an Illicit Discharge?
39. Why is illicit discharge a problem?
40. What are some examples of illicit discharges?
41. What are not considered Illicit Discharge?